“The ELS English Language Ambassador Award ” Essay Writing Competition by ELS Language Centres
The ELS English Language Ambassador Award essay writing competition will be a yearly programme dedicated to supplement the Government’s effort in ‘Driving English Language Excellence’ in Malaysian government schools.
The competition resources, which are delivered purely online, are conceptualised and developed by ELS Language Centre Malaysia and its strategic partners, namely, The University of Adelaide, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Sunago Education Sdn Bhd, and Just English Sdn Bhd.
It is also supported by the Ministry of Education (MOE) (Download the Ministry of Education Letter of Consent) and is open to all students who are currently enrolled in Form 4 and Form 5 (in 2023) in Malaysian government schools. In addition, the Ministry of Education (MOE) will award co-curriculum marks based on the participation and achievement of the participants.
- To improve students writing skills in preparation for their SPM English Writing Section – where students need to harness their critical thinking abilities.
- To be able to discover or showcase their hidden talents in writing in return for tangible and intangible rewards.
- To build a portfolio to show their achievements for future school applications or job interviews.
- To meet, learn, and collaborate with other students from different schools in Malaysia while being guided by an online coach.
- To immerse in an online learning environment wherein students and teachers can track progress using the online learning platform.
- To provide the opportunity for the Grand Champion to gain first-hand experience of the excellent education environment at a prestigious university abroad through a study tour.
How to Participate:
- Click on School Registration (for teachers).
- Sign in with your DELIMa account.
- Register your school and students at https://elsaward.els.edu.my/school-sign-up.
- Once you submit the registration you will receive a confirmation email.
- Inform your students to join the ELS English Language Ambassador 2023.
- Join the competition through an email invitation that you received or go to https://elsaward.els.edu.my/ click on Join Competition (for students).
- Sign in with your DELIMa account.
- Complete all 15 lessons with a general average grade of at least 70% prescribed in the online writing programme.
- Write your essay and submit your entry on or before the submission deadline.
The Online Writing Programme
The online writing programme consists of 15 lessons and self-assessment checks. It is designed to enhance students’ writing skills by teaching them how to express their thoughts and ideas cohesively and coherently. Completion of the writing programme will enable students to:
- Better understand how good essays are written and how to go about writing them for academic or future professional purposes.
- Qualify for the ELS English Language Ambassador Award Essay Writing Competition and have a chance to win exciting prizes.
- A computer and stable internet access (not less than 1Mbps).
- A valid and working email address to register and receive updates about the competition.
- Google Chrome as browser in accessing the online lessons.
- 17th May 2023 – 4th September 2023 (For School).
- Students must complete all 15 lessons with a general average grade of at least 70% to qualify for the essay writing competition submission.
- All essays must be written in British English, with a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 700 words. Essay entries containing more than the required number of words will automatically be disqualified.
- The 10 best essays for the grand prize will be shortlisted and will be invited for an interview session with the Judging Panel.
Submission of Entries:
Submission of entries must be BEFORE 3:00 pm (Malaysian time, +8:00 GMT time zone) on 15th September 2023. Any submission after the deadline will immediately be disqualified.
To know more about the competition and the essay writing programme, download the Information Packet.